Our Mission is
Protection of life, preservation of peace and pursuit of justice
Please dial 911
Newport Township Police Department is a local Police Department serving Glen Lyon, Wanamie, Alden, Sheatown, Ridgeview and Lee covering 16.8 square miles and serving over 5,000 residents. The department enforces state and local laws along with assisting other agencies including code enforcement and child services.
Besides 24 hour patrol officer response, the department currently has several officers trained in specialty areas including criminal investigations, processing crime scenes, accident investigation, narcotics enforcement, and traffic enforcement.
The Newport Township Police Department does not handle civil issues. Such as:
Child Custody (If custody order is not in place)
Utility Issues (Electric, Gas, Water, Cable, Phone, Heat)
Winter Weather Conditions Contribute to a Majority of Motor Vehicle Accidents. To prevent accidents, injuries and damage to property please abide by these suggestions:
1. Slow down and allow for extra driving time, don't rush to get to your destination.
2. Give yourself good distance from the vehicle in front of you in case you need to stop quickly.
3. Use snow tires and be sure your brake pads are in good condition. A vehicle with bald tires is useless in the snow. While 4 wheel drive and all wheel drive vehicles may have better traction in the snow, they have the same difficulty stopping in bad weather.
4. Call 911 immediately if you see a vehicle that has traveled off the roadway and may need assistance.
Thefts During the Holiday Season
Most thefts occur in large retail outlets but not always. While we save our money to buy gifts for the holidays, criminals steal from our cars, houses and porches. Follow these tips to keep your gifts safe this holiday season:
1. Do not leave gifts in your car overnight. Remove them as soon as you return home from the store. If you must leave gifts in your car, cover them with a blanket or sheet.
2. When shopping on the internet, be sure the site is protected and legitimate. If a package is delivered by UPS, FEDEX, etc., bring it in quickly. If possible, have it delivered to work where someone can sign for it.
3. Be discreet when paying for purchases. Do not pull out a large amount of cash. When entering your PIN on a debit card, be sure no one is looking over your shoulder. Do not put your signature on your credit cards, instead sign "request identification".